23 September 2017
   
Floor Goliath Mugabe, Mawarire urges youths
Mnangagwa kinsmen targeted in ZPF wars
Kenya envoy lauds courts in nullified poll
Ncube hopes Mujuru joins MDC Alliance
Political violence used to settle petty scores
Vendor nails four extortionist cops
2 kill brother as witch hunter fingers him
Tsvangirai to rest for a while, says his aide
MORE NEWS
Zimpapers PAT up 93pct to $1m, revenue falls
Losses in OK, Dairibord grag ZSE slower
MORE BUSINESS
Kwese TV partners Orange Botswana
Inaugural Zim Jazz festival on Saturday
MORE SHOWBIZ
Dembare on top after trashing Chapungu
Caps United dismiss hosts Hwange 1-0
MORE SPORTS
Currency crisis and the art of deception
Unpacking the Zimbabwean mess
MORE OPINION
 
G40 Crew now Zim’s Gang of Four?
Mandela vs Mugabe: A legacy of ashes
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 

Telecel Zimbabwe seeks $200mln reboot

18/05/2017 00:00:00
by Source.co.zw
 
ICTs minister Supa Mandiwanzira
 
RELATED STORIES

HARARE: Zimbabwe’s smallest mobile network operator, Telecel  is in discussions with investors over a $200 million loan seen as crucial to reviving its operations.

Telecel has 1,8 million active subscribers out of its 4,6 million total customers according to the latest data from the Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ).

“At this stage, negotiations and discussions are ongoing with financiers for an investment of $200 million to kick start the Telecel project, that is the project going forward with the government as the major shareholder.

"More details of the funding will be communicated in due course,” the Minister for Information, Communication and Technology and Courier Services Supa Mandiwanzira told a Telecel briefing on Wednesday night.

Part of the fund will be used for network upgrade.  The company has so far started upgrading its network with 4.5G LTE infrastructure to be launched by the third quarter of 2017.

Mandiwanzira said the government, which now owns 60 percent of Telecel through its wholly owned internet service provider, ZARNnet, plans to acquire 100 percent of Telecel shareholding.  

Currently, Empowerment Corporation, a group of local investors owns 40 percent.

“Government has plans to ultimately buy 100% of the Telecel business.  Efforts to sanitize the ‘shareholder wars’ and eventually make the business private through listing or selling, et cetera continue.  Advisors will advise us which route to take,” said Mandiwanzira.

Government already controls another mobile operator NetOne, which is struggling financially and is also facing corporate governance issues.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker