14 December 2017
Mnangagwa assassin appears in court
Govt pays for Mugabe Singapore visit
Coup: ‘Soldiers’ rob Chinese man of $90k
Man, aged 83, rapes granddaughter, 14
Tsvangirai still to register for 2018
ED starts journey to key 2018 election
ANC risks split in choosing new leader
Zimdef bosses axed, forensic audit called
Makamba back after 17 years in exile
Command agric: Is it really that bad?
Mogul Russell Simmons accused of rape
Jah Prayzah dreamt about cemetery attack
FC Platinum get tough Africa draw
City, United win as Arsenal drift
Coup: why the China role theory is hollow
Zims duped! It’s about Zanu PF for ever
Nelson Chamisa on Washington trip
Interview: Gonda Hot Seat with Coltart

Sundowns meet Zamalek in CCL final

25/09/2016 00:00:00
by Agencies
Mamelodi Sundown players

FIVE time champions Zamalek of Egypt will meet South Africa's Mamelodi Sundowns in next month's African Champions League final after fending off a spirited Wydad Casablanca in a semi-final second leg on Saturday.

Zamalek, who last played in the final 14 years ago, advanced 6-5 on aggregate despite losing 5-2 to their Moroccan opponents in Rabat.

Sundowns beat Zambia's Zesco United 2-0 at home to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

A 4-0 victory in last weekend's first leg gave Zamalek a comfortable platform for the return match but they were shaken by a dramatic comeback from Wydad.

William Jebor scored twice to help Wydad to a 3-1 half time lead and a pair from Fabrice Ondama after the break extended the score to 5-1 -- putting the sides level on aggregate but with Wydad still needing one more to win the tie.

With 10 minutes left, Zamalek scored on the counter attack through Stanley Ohawuchi to end the home hopes.

Wydad had fired John Toshack as coach after the first leg defeat and on Monday appointed Sebastien Desabre as his replacement, with the Frenchman coming close to engineering the biggest comeback in African club competition history.

Sundowns, who beat Zamalek both home and away in the group phase, continued their fairytale run to the final after having lost in the preliminary rounds.

They were eliminated by AS Vita Club of the Democratic Republic of Congo before the group phase but were then reinstated into the competition after Vita were found to have fielded a suspended player in their opening round fixture.

Sundowns grabbed the opportunity to go on and win their group and on Saturday advance to their second-ever final appearance, 15 years after the first.

Liberian international Anthony Laffor scored the opener and Percy Tau added a second midway through the second half to see them comeback from 2-1 after last week's first leg in Zambia.

"People might say we have snuck through the back door, but we've taken our chance and now we are in the final," said coach Pitso Mosimane.

Sundowns will host the first leg of the final in Pretoria on Oct. 15 with the return match in Egypt a week later.


Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker