23 February 2018
   
Mujuru to Mnangagwa: no hard feelings
Eyebrows as ED's pal in Mthwakazi project
Govt peace maker too weak, Mujuru coalition
AU experts to help ZEC before & after polls
Harare war as cops shoot two dead
$15bln fraud: Mpofu refuses to talk in Parly
Govt to pay bonuses in time for elections
Congress will happen: defiant Mwonzora
MORE NEWS
Diamond sales resume after one-year break
Corruption won't be tolerated: Mpofu
MORE BUSINESS
Deadline for Zim Achievers nominations
UK: Ammara, Stunner, Ex-Q at London’s O2
MORE SHOWBIZ
I never got cards in Zim: Hadebe
Sepp Blatter urges World Cup Africa return
MORE SPORTS
Morgan Tsvangirai a dear, just leader
New era: Changing Zimbabwe’s past
MORE OPINION
 
Tsvangirai aide farewell to iconic boss
In the aftermath of Tsvangirai's death
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 

Allardyce sacked as England boss

27/09/2016 00:00:00
by Agencies
 
Former England manager Sam Allardyce
 
RELATED STORIES

SAM Allardyce has been sacked as England manager after one match and 67 days in charge having behaved "inappropriately" when caught up in a newspaper sting, the Football Association said on Tuesday.

The 61-year-old's departure follows a Daily Telegraph investigation claiming he offered advice to a bogus group of Far East businessmen on how to get around rules on player transfers.

Allardyce was reported to have used his role to negotiate a deal worth 400 000 pounds ($520 840.00) to represent a Far East firm seeking advice on the transfer market.

The money would be paid for a series of visits and speeches, and though Allardyce made it clear to the meeting that any arrangement would have to be cleared with the FA and later apologised for what he described as an error of judgement, he was forced out of his dream job.

The FA said in a statement: "Allardyce's conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised. However, due to the serious nature of his actions, The FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect."

"This is not a decision that was taken lightly but The FA's priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football.

"The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times."

Allardyce was appointed in July following the departure of Roy Hodgson after this year's European Championship and has overseen only the 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Slovakia.

One of the highest-paid managers in the game with a salary of about 3 million pounds ($3.9 million) a year, Allardyce was secretly filmed by the Telegraph discussing England's failings with a group he had been told were businessmen with interests in Singapore and Hong Kong.

During his meetings with the newspaper's undercover reporters, Allardyce also criticised his predecessor Hodgson, referring to him as "Woy" and saying he "hasn't got the personality" for public speaking.

He leaves having become the shortest-serving England manager - albeit with a 100percent winning record.

Gareth Southgate will take charge of the England team for the next four matches against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland and Spain while the FA searches for a new manager, with Bournemouth's Eddie Howe the early bookmaker's favourite.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker