18 December 2017
SA: ANC votes for new President Monday
Grace secured $10mln for G40 power grab
Court: Mengistu aide jailed for war crimes
Graft: Perm Sec spends weekend in jail
Mugabe priest: Grace will get justice
Riot police called as Zanu PF brawls
Rural Zimbabweans unaware Mugabe gone
Man calls Mnangagwa a murderer, arrested
A faint hope for Zimbabwe
Cashless solution for cash crisis
Rape: Prosecutors won't charge Nelly
Divisive South African film eyes Oscars
Mapeza eyes Ghana and Zambia players
Zimbabwe embrace underdog status
Opposition lacks effective leadership
Change must follow Mugabe’s fall
‘Pasi!’: The slogan that must now die
Zimbabwe: Chance for a new beginning
Caps edge Ngezi to close in on PSL title as FC Platinum clobber Bosso 3-0 to stay in contention

20/11/2016 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
Very good game ... Caps boss, LIoyd Chitembwe

SIMBA Nhivi scored the only goal that counted for Caps United to beat Ngezi Platinum at the National Sports Stadium on Sunday and garner maximum points to come close to winning their first championship in 11years.

Caps United came into the match hoping to win the championship with a game to spare in the event that they won against Ngezi Platinum and FC Platinum fail to beat Highlanders in another match at Mandava Stadium.

And when Nhivi scored after 36 minutes, capitalising on goalkeeper Nelson Chadya who made a mess of his clearance, Caps United supporters thought they had the championship in the bag.

However, with FC Platinum overcoming Highlanders 3-0 at Mandava, it meant the Green Machine celebration was only temporary as they will now have to wait until the very last day of the league programme.

FC Platinum scored their goals through midfielder Gerald Takwara, Walter Musona and Charles Sibanda to silence Highlanders.

However, there was violence at Mandava after FC Platinum coach, Norman Mapeza, was hit by a missile from the Bosso fans and had to be stretchered off as frustration on the pitch and in the stands built up.

With the victory, Caps United now have 60 points and still two ahead of second placed FC Platinum with one match left in the campaign. Caps United will travel to Gweru next to face Chapungu while FC Platinum will also be away to face Tsholotsho in their final match.

Ngezi, however, could have come out with a point against Caps United but Terrence Dzukamanja's effort crashed against the upright post just after two minutes.

But Ngezi players mobbed Masvingo referee Arnold Ncube as they appealed for a penalty when Ronald Pfumbidzai, in a bid to clear the ball out of danger, appeared to have handled the ball in the penalty area. But the referee turned down their appeal.

Ngezi Platinum coach Tonderai Ndiraya summed it all up in his post-match interview.

“I thought Caps were in control in the first half. We had good chances of scoring. But we conceded what I can call a soft goal. We had the numbers in the box but we went to sleep and they scored. But in the second half, I thought we were a little bit in control, we threw many bodies forward. Good chances but we couldn’t score. I thought from where I was standing it was a penalty- a huge penalty shout but the ref thought otherwise.


Job done ... Simba Nhivi after scoring the solitary goal

“But that is football, good luck to Caps They have done well this season. One decision can decide a match. But we had 90 minutes to win the match and we couldn’t. But I thought a draw would have been a fair result,” said Ndiraya.

Caps boss, LIoyd Chitembwe said. “It was a very good game. We played a very good team. My honest analysis is that the match was very exciting. It’s important for us to
collect the three points.”


Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker