11 December 2017
   
Gukurahundi: give us a break, says ED’s aide
MPs rage over illegally deployed army
Envoys to Algeria set cops on fellow Zims
Mpofu says saved by wife from mad Grace
Victims identify rogue soldiers at army HQ
Editors seen as pawns of Zanu PF factions
Parties demand 8 more weeks for voter entry
Councillors vow to Grab land doled by Chombo
MORE NEWS
Econet leads as mobile subscribers over 13m
Miners need $400m for 2018 operations
MORE BUSINESS
Intwasa extra to celebrate a new Zim
Zodwa Wabantu fails to turn up - again
MORE SHOWBIZ
SA: Rusike brace lifts Maritzburg
Zimbabwe Cricket cash crisis worsens
MORE SPORTS
Zims duped! It’s about Zanu PF for ever
Mnangagwa presidency built on quicksand
MORE OPINION
 
The Mugabe prophecy that never was
Opposition: An inconvenient truth
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 

Drogba Foundation cleared after charity probe

02/12/2016 00:00:00
by AFP
 
 
RELATED STORIES

DIDIER Drogba's charity foundation to help causes in Africa has been cleared following an investigation into "serious regulatory concerns".

The Charity Commission launched a probe into the Didier Drogba Foundation earlier this year after the Daily Mail claimed just £14 115 ($17 764, 16 668 euros) out of £1.7 million donated to the former Chelsea star's charity had actually been used in Africa.

In the article, the Mail claimed that £439 321 was spent putting on "lavish" fundraising parties attended by celebrities, and more than £1 million "languished" in bank accounts.

But Drogba, who currently plays for Montreal Impact in Major League Soccer, said he had spent his own sponsorship earnings first and planned to use UK fundraising money for future projects.

And the 38-year-old's Foundation has now been cleared following the investigation.

"We have been able to satisfy our most serious concerns in relation to the charity by confirming that funds have not been misapplied and that all funds raised in the English charity's name have been held by the English charity," a Charities Commission statement read on Thursday.

"We are also able to confirm that we found no evidence of fraud or corruption on behalf of the charity."

Drogba, a Premier League and Champions League winner with Chelsea, added: "The Charities Commission has today confirmed after a seven-month investigation, that no funds have been misapplied by my Foundation, and that there has been no financial wrongdoing, no fraud and no corruption.

"I am pleased that this supports what we always said from the start which is that the claims made by the Daily Mail back in April were entirely false."

The Didier Drogba Foundation was set up in the Ivory Coast in 2007 and registered in the UK as a separate entity in 2009 to allow Drogba to raise funds while in England playing for Chelsea.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker