16 December 2017
Oppah new Zanu PF chair; but no VPs yet
Tsvangirai sought ED talks: Mugabe priest
G40’s Sekeramayi axed from politburo
Man strips for sex with donkey; nabbed
Sperm harvesters hit SA; man raped
Mnangagwa vows new path for Zanu PF
Congress seals Bob’s fall from grace
Vote rigging fear at Zuma succession
Indigenisation: IMF welcomes changes
Vic Falls Bridge toll fees introduced
Divisive South African film eyes Oscars
Zimbabwe totes obsessed with Zodwa
Jose Mourinho faces Ibrahimovic dilemma
FIFA threatens Spain with W-Cup ban
Coup: why the China role theory is hollow
Zims duped! It’s about Zanu PF for ever
Nelson Chamisa on Washington trip
Interview: Gonda Hot Seat with Coltart
Footballer nicks phone from the pub, says wanted to raise hospital fees for his wife
13/12/2016 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter

A DESPERATE soccer player with Zifa Southern Region Division One league side, Technosphere Football Club, has been sentenced for stealing a cellphone handset in a bar.

Admire Mudziwepasi, 30, who plays as a defender and resides at Number 1 Government Hill in Hwange, told the magistrate that he was desperately in need of money to take his wife to hospital.

“I took the phone because I needed money to take my wife who is sick to hospital. She works at Hwange Colliery Company where she hasn’t been paid for a long time while I am also not getting a salary since we are off season,” said Mudziwepasi in mitigation.

He pleaded guilty to theft when he appeared before Hwange magistrate Rose Dube who slapped him with 10 months in jail.

Mudziwepasi was, however, lucky to escape the agony of jail life after the magistrate suspended four months for three years with conditions while the remaining six months were suspended on condition he completes 210 hours of community service at Hwange Government Secondary School.

The owner of the phone, an HTC tablet, John Pfacha resides at Ingagula in the coal mining town.

Prosecutors said the two were drinking beer together with other patrons at Jabulani Beer Hall on November 29.

“The complainant plugged his handset for recharging in the beer hall and asked a fellow patron, Max Moses Phiri, to monitor it.

After about an hour, Phiri and his friends left the beer hall leaving the phone on the charger,” said prosecutor Onias Nyathi.

The court heard that Pfacha looked for his handset but couldn’t find it.

“He looked for Phiri and found him outside whereupon he asked about his phone but Phiri and his friends professed ignorance,” the court was told.

Pfacha was tipped by some people a few days later that the phone was with Mudziwepasi who was looking for a buyer for it.

A report was made to the police who recovered the handset from Mudziwepasi.

An Econet sim card and a powertel sim card together with a memory card were not recovered.


Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker